Monday, January 23, 2012

Pakistan won’t get access to Kasab: India

MUMBAI: A Pakistani commission investigating the 2008 terror attack in Mumbai will visit in early February, but will not be allowed to interrogate the lone surviving gunman, Indian officials said Monday. The visit is the result of intricate negotiations between the nuclear-armed neighbours, but is unlikely to resolve tensions over whether Pakistan is sincerely working to prosecute the attack’s alleged perpetrators. Disagreements over access to gunman Ajmal Kasab, who has been sentenced to death in India for his role in the rampage that killed 166, have spilled into public view. Pakistan’s interior minister, Rehman Malik, told India’s NDTV last week that Pakistani officials would like to speak with Kasab directly to verify...